Thursday, March 18, 2010

Twisted Sister (or Why I Can't Wear Plaid)

Let's get down to the knitty-gritty: I have scoliosis. I've actually been trying to hide that fact for, oh, 20-odd years. It is almost a subject of personal shame, but it's part of who I am. I feel kind of trapped by it. There hasn't been a day that has gone by without my thinking about it, or thinking about other people thinking about it.

Until recently, I wasn't brave enough to try to find out how others felt about it (or lived with it). I searched it on Twitter the other day and found quite a few people living with it (and quite a few crude jokes I have been lucky enough to have never heard before).
So what's the deal? Why am I gung-ho about letting the cat out of the bag now? I don't know, and that's the truth. Maybe I want to vent my frustration at not being able to wear the clothes I want to because it makes me look strange. I kind of want to raise awareness so that people will become desensitized and not get that glazed-over look on their faces when they realize my back isn't symmetrical. It would be nice if they thought of having scoliosis the same way they think of having extra weight. I'm curvy in more ways than one, people!

I definitely want to be able to talk about it with my girls, so that in case either of them develop it, they won't feel as uncomfortable about it as I was (and still am). Fake it 'til you make it.

Who wants some quick personal facts? I love 'em.

  1. I wore 2 different kinds of braces when I was younger: the Milwaukee (sexy, I know), and the Charleston (mine was purple). The Milwaukee got me bullied in grade school. Jerks. I wore the Charleston overnight.
  2. Scoliosis is more common than I ever thought. Lots of famous people have (or had) it, including Kurt Cobain, Sarah Michelle Gellar, and Chloe Sevigny. I didn't know that, but it makes me feel better. I don't know why.
  3. My first chiropractor was super creepy in that he wanted to "save" me, but I now think he just wanted $200/week. He also reminded me of Willy Wonka (now you know why I don't like that movie).
Plaid + scoliosis = lumpy strange mess. Also, the shirt was a bit snug. Needless to say I didn't buy it.

2 comments:

  1. I know a lot of people who have scoliosis. My grade 10 science teacher, one of the secretaries at the old walk-in clinic (she got the surgery), Chelsea's old roommate (also got the surgery).
    To people who don't know about scoliosis, it simply looks like you carry a little more weight on one side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had mine treated by a chiropractor during my teen years, I truly didn't understand how serious it was till I was older. My parents didn't have money, but now I realize that's why my mom took the job at the chiro's office and 'suddenly' quit when I didn't need treatment anymore. I went 3-4 times a week forever. I did get better. After having B, I was having back pain and had an xray done through my dr, who just recommended advil. After seeing the report for myself, I went back to the chiropractor. I don't want it to get as severe as it was, but I need to lose lots of weight!

    I had a casual friend that wore a brace and while I was grateful I didn't have too, and knew she put up with a lot due to intolerant people, I secretly admired her 'her future back'. Her posture was beautiful! I guess I've never been slim enough to realize that people could see the curve... I say wear what you want, you'd look great no matter what!

    ReplyDelete