Thursday, March 3, 2011

It's Not You, It's Me. No, It's You, Too.

I'm kind of sad. I think I'm going through a break-up. Not with my husband - we're pretty great, actually. But with a friend who I thought I was close to and it turns out I've been kidding myself.

It's a weird situation (to me, anyway). We get along well, still talk to each other, but I don't really want to see her and she apparently doesn't want to keep me in the loop (I've been moved to the limited profile on FB). Our letters are more like tweets: short, one-liners that get to the gist. I only ask how she's doing to be polite. She does the same.

My problem is letting her go. I don't really want to, because there's a history there and it just feels wrong, but I'm happier when we aren't talking and I can tell myself that things are just like they were long ago. I also feel a twinge of jealousy when I can see she's close to someone else. See? It makes no sense. I don't need her around, I don't miss her, and I feel like a liar when I talk to her like nothing is wrong, but I just can't sever the tie.

I'm really confused, and that disturbs me. Relationships really mess with your head. Even platonic ones.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about a long time friend. I have had a hard time letting her go, but I'm realizing that every relationship has its time. I do miss her though...

    ReplyDelete