Sunday, February 6, 2011

Fitness, the Easy Way

Lately, I've been obsessed with fitness. I've made a commitment to work out every day, even if just a little, and I've found it surprisingly easy to keep to it (dieting, however, is another beast entirely). Not everyone has the drive/determination/freedom to set aside time to exercise though, and I get that. But exercise doesn't mean only lunges and push ups... I'll bet if you're a mother of young kids you can find ample opportunities for a great work out! For instance, just going shopping is a fantastic one:

Warm Up:
Running all over the house trying to find the keys.
Add a boost: squeeze your tush as you climb those stairs!

Arms:
Carrying a young child in one arm and a diaper bag on the other.
Add a boost: try to keep the kid at eye level, and stuff the diaper bag with water bottles and snacks!


Legs:
Bending down to pick up the groceries your child has tossed out of the cart.
Add a boost: do deep lunges or squats when picking up!

Abs:
Coughing fit ensues as you look at the price of old cheddar. Dang, that stuff's expensive!
Add a boost: Laugh heartily when your child asks if she can have the chocolate frosted sugar bombs.

Cardio:
Easy - walking around the store. No one said you have to be huffing and puffing for the benefits.
Add a boost: let your kid out of the cart. See kid run. See mom run. Run, mom, run!

If you consider getting home and putting away the groceries a cooldown/stretch, voila! Your workout is complete!

Can you think of other daily activities that double as workouts? I'd love to hear them!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, that explains why I was 25 pounds lighter when my children were toddlers. I wondered what happened to my skinny ass body!

    ReplyDelete